The system allows you to make arbitrary assignments of abstracts for grading. You can have an unlimited number of referees each of whom can be assigned an unlimited number of abstracts.
Most conference administrators recognize that assigning more than a few dozen abstracts per referee can place a heavy burden on the referee who may therefore be slow and inefficient in carrying out the grading. Moreover, with a very large number of abstracts assigned the referee’s grading screen may be slow to load and require tedious scrolling.
► How to set up an existing user as a referee
- Go to the Users screen.
- If the referee is already in the system as an author click on their name.
- On the user details popup window change their access level to "Referee" or "Committee".
- Click the Save button to upgrade the user to referee or committee status.
- If the referee is not in the system yet, click the New function and enter their details.
► How to set up a new user as a referee
- Make sure the user is not already registered as an author – if they are, please follow the instructions for setting up an existing user as a referee.
- Go to either the Users or the Grading screen.
- Click the New function, enter the user’s details and click the Save button.
How to assign groups of abstracts for grading
1. On the admin Grading screen click the Assign function.
2. In the Assign popup window, choose the email address of the referee to whom you wish to assign abstracts.
3. On the scrolling list of abstract categories (sometimes known as "themes") check the ones that you wish to assign. The total number of abstracts currently available in that category is shown in brackets – for example, Cardiology (10).
4. After a few moments the system will report to you how many abstracts were assigned to the referee. If you have tried to assign abstracts that have already been assigned you will receive a message that they were not assigned. It is not possible to assign the same abstract twice to the same referee.
1. Prepare a list of abstracts for assigning to each referee. You can obtain a list of all abstracts by using the report All Abstracts Data (Excel). You can use the functions in Excel to group the abstract serial numbers so that you can then copy and paste blocks of numbers in to the abstract assigning function.
Your list should contain one serial number per line and should consist of numbers only – no text such as ".doc". Leading zeroes are acceptable. Your list should look like this:
or like this:
2. Copy the serial numbers to the Windows clipboard.
3. On the admin Grading screen click the Assign function.
4. In the Assign popup window, choose the email address of the referee to whom you wish to assign abstracts. In the box below the referee’s email address paste the list of serial numbers.
Note: If you are only assigning a few abstracts you can type the serial numbers into the box, one per line.
5. Click the Assign button.
6. After a few moments the system will report to you how many abstracts were assigned to the referee. If you have tried to assign abstracts that have already been assigned or that do not exist you will receive a message that they were not assigned. It is not possible to assign the same abstract twice to the same referee so you need not worry about making a mistake.
How to track a referee’s progress
1. Go to the admin Grading screen
2. Identify the referee on the main list. The last two columns show the number of abstracts assigned and the number graded so far.
3. Click on the referee’s entry on the main list to view a popup window
4. The popup window gives contact details for the referee including an email link, the serial numbers of the abstracts that have been assigned, and the grade that has been given to each abstract.